Thursday, January 29, 2009

Niu Yang ge

      The spitting, burping, and pushing I could do without. But it is things like this that fascinate me:   Driving out of the snowy mountains I asked if we could stop the car to see what was going on in a small village we were approaching. Getting out of the car- camera in hand - I was overwhelmed with the sight of colorful outfits and smiling faces. The pounding of a drum was coming from the bed of a truck that was driven into the outside area where the dances where taking place. I asked if I could come into the area and take a few pictures, and the people of this small northern town could not have been happier or more proud to have a 'la wai' (foreigner) be so interested in their spring festival traditions and culture. 
     They offered me a platter of candy and cigarettes, of which I took a piece of candy. The teenager offering the platter looked up at me worried it seemed as though I had not taken as much as she wanted me to -- and I questioned myself, "should I take a few pieces more or a cigarette to make them feel as though I have partaken the fullness of their generosity, or just this one piece of candy (all that I want and need) so that the others can enjoy the treats?"-- with my best smile of reassurance that this was more than enough for me, I gave a polite nod and bow, as the girl sheepishly smiled back.
     I learned that this is called "Niu Yang ge"- traditional dances from the Northern Provences. I found the energy and excitement there brought about emotions that made me not want to leave. But alas, Baihong was waiting for us to continue our journey to Shenyang.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love these bright outfits! Sissy wears her Korean Hanbok around and now I wish I would have bought some bigger sizes! So sitting her in my home with four little ones and going to villages in China on your blog. I love it.