Friday, March 12, 2010

Monday March 8, 2010

Last Monday I jumped back in at the office and then straight to Chinese class. I had a bad case of jet lag in the 2nd hour of my Chinese lesson – my German and Belgium classmates definitely cracked up laughing when I literally starting dosing off. My head bobbed, and when I was trying to write a word in my notebook I woke up to find just a long line where the pin had drug across the page. How's that for Seminar and 14 hour flight recovery ?

And yes, its still cold in Shanghai, and in my bedroom…I sleep with gloves on and a space heater pulled up to the edge of the mattress!

Around the office, thanks to Nancy, I was reading a book that has a few chapters about sheep. At work this week, I accidentally typed “spreadsheep” instead of spread sheet!

During the week I got to help my friends D & A move, and signed up for an 8k that is a week from Sunday.

This past weekend I met some inspiring women. Turns out after hearing her speak, Jan Silvious, serves on a board with my mom.

I got the opportunity to have lunch with Lisa Bentley, who is the author of the inspirational true story of “Saving Levi”. I am almost finished reading her book, and it really makes the story come alive to know the author! (Here is the link if you have some time -- long article but good to skim if you want to get the gist-- http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-levi12dec12,0,1817011,full.story?coll=la-home-center )

Love the international conversations of economics on a 40 min run, and sitting around a dinner table with people literally from all over the world - Germany, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Japan, all while talking about a friends recent trip to teach children in Cambodia...really? These are my friends? Love 'em!

On Sunday it was great to be back in corporate worship and hear a great message - thoroughly enjoyed the company of a friend.

Monday – Who Let the Dawgs out?? Yes, that's right, UGA MBA study abroad group was in town! They held a reception for Alumni and I was invited by my past roommate's (MB!) friend. We have a running list of some alumni in the area so I sent out an email to see who we could 'round up. Whoo hoo for connecting with alumni all the way in China. Not only did I get to meet several new friends from China who went to Georgia for their MBA (ps. they love chicken -- see pic below) as well as ones from good 'ole Athens - The coordinator, Mrs. Sally said "wait, I knew your brother from a previous trip…." She went on to tell not just one, but several stories about the time she lead the trip of Terry Juniors at Georgia to Europe. Let's just say half the stories were about the chasing of pigeons and hamsters that he would bring back to see her reaction, and the other involved a quick trip to the store to buy speedos and to jump in some lake he probably shouldn't have been swimming. After listening to her recount these memories as though it could have been just the other day, I realized that M had left quite an impression with her ... oh, everyone needs the joy of following in a siblings footsteps. It wasn't hard to convince her I am the well behaved one of the family....

(gave 3 MBA Alumni CFA BOG's)

(Mrs. Sally)

(2 current MBA's on study abroad)

5 comments:

Laura said...

The guy on the left looks extremely familiar...Did he intern at CFA here last summer?

Petra said...

You are incredible, Rachel!

janet li said...

Very well, that is my very first stop by for your website! It is nice,just like our website.If you are a fashion man,maybe you will also like our

website,like our ghd uk.All

of the ghd uk here are fashion,useful,noble and free shipping.
ghd australia here for your choice.

cottasofia said...

This is a good read for me must admit that you are one of the best blogger i ever saw Thanks for posting this informative post.
_______
Murano Glass

Unknown said...

I enjoyed every page on your blog, I think you are is creative, if you have a spare time look at me too at diabetic supplies medicare I am happy to share with you and hope to become your friends