Thursday, November 6, 2008

when I was staying here:

in Koh Samui (I can't believe it was almost three weeks ago-time goes by so quickly!)


    I read the book "The Kitchen God's Wife" by Amy Tan. It was a great book to read before going to Shanghai because parts of it took place in Shanghai during the Cultural Revolution. There was a quote that said "why do some memories live only on your tongue or in your nose?"
   I experienced that today at lunch when we went to a "Dong Bei" restaurant. "Dong Bei" is the part of China Angela is from. She was very excited for me to try her "home town" dishes. 
   The dishes we ordered were similar to what I often ate 4 years ago in Shandong. The garlic sauce for the jaozi, the eggplant dish, and the caramelized sweet potatoes all brought back such vivid memories of my time in Shandong. Interesting to me that food can do that. 
gotta love the sideways peace sign.

No comments: