Friday, March 13, 2009

chasing geese

      If I were to look back at my journals  I could find the entry in one where I wrote about a special memory. It was a few years ago (maybe four) and I was on a jog through the neighborhood when two geese flew low over me. I stopped in my tracks because I felt a strong presence of the Lord. You need to understand that geese flying around our area is somewhat common because the lake being so near. This was different. I felt the Lord's promise of two things. 1) A call on my life 2) a promise of protection. From then on two geese flying has been a reminder to me of the Lord's presence. Right now I am living these promises.

     I am told that if a goose falls out of formation another will go back to be with it, they never leave one behind. What a reminder to us all of God's promise in Hebrew 13:5 "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you."

     Today I had a divine appointment with God through reading Wild Goose Chase by Mark Batterson.  The Celtic Christians name for the Holy Spirit was An Geadh-Glas, or 'the Wild Goose'. I resonate with the fact that the Spirit of God cannot be tracked or tamed.  

     Within the first few pages of the book I had underlined, written notes in the margin, and stopped to reread a few lines. It was so closely related to my life right now, it was a though the words were jumping off the pages at me. 
      
...circumstantial uncertainty also goes by another name: ADVENTURE
...nothing is more unnerving or disorienting that passionately pursuing God
...otro dia, otra aventura (another day, another adventure)
...we have a primal longing to be uncaged 
...Soren Kierkegaard believed boredom is the root of all evil.

    If I listed all the quotes and notes I took away from this book, this post would be far to long. So I will pray for YOUR divine appointment with this book, whenever that may be for you. For me, it was today.

6 comments:

April said...

Wow! Rach--that sounds awesome! :)

Petra said...

Rachel! That book sounds awesome! Di you bring it from home? Do you have bookstores there (books are hard to find here). I like those quotes. Keep chasing your adventure! It makes me really happy that you're in China and having adventures. We will meet up before I go home, for sure. :)

Vikings... Mean Ones. said...

I love this post and completely feel where you are! I'm so excited for you and can't wait to hear what the Lord does in and through you. Maybe someday I'll come out there and visit! How incredible would that be?!

Vikings... Mean Ones. said...

This is Robby Stone by-the-way. I noticed it just said it was posted by vikings... mean ones. Haha!

The Knowles said...

Rachel, You got me on this one sweetie! I read your blog this morning before starting out and wihin one hour of reading it two canada geese flew over my head - so low that I thought I could touch them...All I could do was cry! We Love You soooooooo much!
Rebecca

Connie said...

i love you! and i miss you! i didn't know that about the geese. i really enjoy hearing interesting facts like that! thanks