Sunday, March 29, 2009

医院 yi yuan (hospital)

     Mr. Xue picked me up. Checked in at desk. Waited. Then, we who where there for physicals were corralled from room to room to get all the different check ups done.
Room 102 –change into gown/weight/height
Room 112 --eye examination room-cover one eye and say which way the “E” is pointing

Room 109 was labeled “Sample Center”. Worst room. By far.
      I was not allowed to eat for 12 hours prior to check up. Knowing I am a bit faint around needles (especially when I have not eaten breakfast), I opened a piece of chocolate (because I knew I would not have the strength to open it after the needle) and sat it on my leg. I propped my right arm up on the desk—nurse ties a rubber band thing around my bicep and starts slapping the veins in the crease of my arm above my elbow. Here we go…huge needle/shovel looking on the top where the blood can run down goes into my arm and she gets the back of the plastic part to syringe the blood out of my arm.
      This is the part where my eyesight becomes blurry, sounds become muffled, and my head begins to lay back against the chair. I of course forget about the chocolate on my leg. Luckily the nurse figures it out and begins to feed me the piece of chocolate as my head is resting on the back of the chair. Just before I went all the way out the chocolate began to take affect and the nurse also got me some water. I still must not have looked too good, because she reclined the chair then went to get me a ‘moon pie’ looking thing. She would not let me get up from the chair till I had finished eating it.

On to room 116- who knew they give ultrasounds to people who aren’t pregnant? My liver, gallbladder, and kidneys looked interesting on a monitor. The nurses just stared at me funny as I was still weak trying to get up and off of the tall bed-table I had to get on for the gook to be applied to my stomach for the ‘viewing’ of the internals.

117- Chest x-ray – lungs and heart seemed to be ok.

110 – 2nd worst room- EKG. Muster up some more energy to climb on another tall table. Lay down. Out come the rusty metal clamps that are attached to my ankles and wrists. Old timey suction cups with air squeezy balls attached to the end of them are placed around my chest and stomach. And the lady says “relax”. Like that is easy to do when your hooked up to a 1970s piece of medical equipment. Sheesh.

     Last room was another poking an prodding breathing in and out room, and the doctor took my blood pressure—that has always been pretty low. He took it once, mumbled under his breath, took it again and said “very low, very low”.
      Good thing I was watching as he began to type all the information from the other rooms onto the computer. The picture and profile where NOT me. It was a brown headed Belgium girl who was a few people behind me in the ‘corralling line’ . “Oh, so sorry, so sorry” the doctor said when I finally got it across to him that that was not my picture.

     Back out to the waiting room it was my turn to smile at the people who where nervously awaiting their check up experience. Whew, glad that’s over with!

6 comments:

kristen said...

Why did they make you have such a comprehensive physical? I'm glad you made it through all of that!

The Blakelys said...

Wow! What an experience!

Vikings... Mean Ones. said...

And stories like this remind me why I didn't go through with being a doctor. Miserable. Glad you're healthy, though!

- Robby

Connie said...

that is crazy! you had to be strapped in?? what! this is nuts! i hope everything works out ok for you to stay since you had to go through all that!!!

Dianne said...

Man Rachel...what a story! All those details don't make those of us so far away from you feel too good! :-) Seriously. Keep us posted, and I will keep remembering you!

Unknown said...

Holy smokes girl...sounds kinda extreme but at least the rusty clamps were on the outside and not inside your body! Whew. Glad all went well. I've heard some crazy stories from friends who adopted from inland China...the hospitals are unbelievable.