Thursday, September 18, 2008

dont know where to start

 ....so much has gone on!  Last night I got to watch the closing ceremonies from the TV in the VIP lounges and then go on the balcony to see the fireworks! 
    Today--with the Shuang Experience Center interns (i worked with previously) --we took a tour of old Hutong's today in a rickshaw! :) Got to visit the home of a Chinese man who had lived there in his 200 yr old Hutong home for 55 years. He was so warm spirited. I would have like to have tea with him and listen to stories of how Beijing has changed over the years.
  We had a big intern lunch at a Sichuan Restaurant--- it was so fun and lots of toasts and cheering. The smiling faces and laughter filled my soul. We watched the video of the summer with photos and footage--(I can't wait to show you family--it will be my only way to 'tour' you through the Experience Center, as they began tearing the building down today!! : ( 
    Our bosses spoke and gave out certificates, then there was a lot of crying and hugging. It was heartbreaking to see some of the guys getting teary eyed too. What an amazing summer for us. What an amazing summer for China. Well done Beijing!
   I'm off to pack.

2 comments:

Mel said...

Rachel, can't wait to see you. Since I live farther away now, we will have to be more strategic in getting together. Hey, I walked up to the House of Dreams this afternoon. Beautiful! Amazing! I'm here at Berry attending an Energy for Life retreat. It's a great course about how to have more energy throughout each day based on what you eat, how much you exercise, your flexibility, strength training, as well as simply how many stretch breaks you take during the day. We come home tomorrow. I pray that you have a safe trip home and are able to sleep some on the flight. See you soon, Mel

Dianne said...

I'm glad you've been able to experience all this stuff Rachel..truly a once in a lifetime adventure..and I am so proud of you for taking advantage of it all. You are an awesome young woman, no doubt.