Friday, September 5, 2008

How do they do it?

Made it. I am feeling more like a local, took a bus rather than taxi to the East side of the city-my part of town. But what I am wondering is how they have changed things so quickly. All the signs in the airport when I arrived were for the Paralympics, many of the billboards are changed and the Paralympic logo is everywhere- even the flags on every light post that lines the highway...they sure do work fast here. It was great to call some of my intern friends and surprise them that I have returned! (“Oh my! It’s a happy day! This is good news.”)
My Angel left me a bag of goodies at the front desk ☺. It included a moon cake and a letter begging me to visit her in Hainan where she has returned to school. In the morning I meet my new manager at the Paralympic Village.
In the airport I saw two blind track athletes from Canada being led by their coaches. I also saw a wheelchair athlete from France. I got to answer some questions and talk to the Canadians for a little bit. Wow, I am already inspired. The only thing I am still trying to figure out --how they are able to run their events and keep their lanes? I am being serious here…has anyone seen how they do a blind track race? I guess if no one knows we will find out soon enough…

6 comments:

Jessica said...

I am so excited for you...I have a feeling this is going to be right up your alley. You're gonna love it!

The Blakelys said...

Rachel I am so happy that you are able to travel and do all that you are doing. I know that these events and the people that you meet are going to be life changing. Be careful and keep us updated. Love you!

Jenna said...

Rachel I am so excited for you! It's funny because I read your blog that you were headed back and wondered if you were going to be going through SF. Then I got your text! If you are coming through here on your way back home, we'd love to see you! Have fun and be careful! Love you!

mxhar said...

Happy to hear you arrived safely.Had pizza with the boys tonight and talked to your Mom and Dad fo9r a while.Take care and have fun.Don't forget the postcard. Love you much.
Max and Shirley

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
Glad you made it back to China safetly. Hey, to answer your question about how does a blind runner stay 'on track' during a race, I might have an answer although I am sure you will be finding out the latest and greatest way there in China. Back in the 96' games Dad introduced me to an American blind paralympic distance runner. He had another seeing runner on a short string to his wrist that guides him during the training and race. They were training around Olympic Stadium (now TurnerField) like this when Dad introduced himself and I and talked briefly about it. Love you!

iamthird said...

jess- thanks-it has been 'up my alley' so far! love you and cant wait to hear more cali stories.

bg and tricia-thank you for being so excited for me. it is a joy to keep you guys updated. i feel blessed beyond words and want to share it with the world! love you too!

brett and jenna- i will let you know next time im stopping through! i sat next to a couple from SF on the plane-they are originally from taiwan and kept talking about how you cant beat the weather or view in cali! love yall.

max n shirley-thanks for the update. and i sent one to your friend morgan today :) love you guys!

mark-thanks for answering. that sounds interesting. its quite possible the guys i saw leading the two athletes were their running mates, and not their coaches like i suspected. it will be interesting to keep an eye out for them. love you too!