Thursday, August 14, 2008

2 in 1 evening

      So, up until today I had not gotten the opportunity to go to any events. Well, today made up for that, big time. I got to go inside of the water cube for the prelims for swimming events and watch Phelps qualify. Then walked to the tennis facility. Amazing to see athletes that you have only ever seen on tv live. 3 games: Roger Federer/James Blake, then Venus Williams/Li Na, then Nadal/Austrian dude. What a great experience to be in the crowd even though we were hugely in the minority. The crowd had no respect for the opponents mistakes and often laughed out loud and clapped on out shots or double faults. At the end, Matt and I walked against the crowd, down some stairs then through the athletes entrance, not really meaning to, only escaping the crowd and looking for a bathroom. After realizing where we were, we walked the halls. Then, walking down the hall towards us was Nadal and his Uncle and another coach. As we passed each other:
Me- “Hey man great job out there”
Rafael Nadal looks me in the eyes does a quick nod and says “thank you”.
Whew. What an evening. Great moon, great temperature, great tennis. I sang Chinese songs in the cab on the way home. ☺
 

3 comments:

Mel said...

You crack me up! I can see you now finagling your way down the athletes' hall under the pretense of going to the bathroom.:) Who is the athlete behind the star Coke intern in the first photo? When do you come home? I want to see all your pictures and hear your stories! Love ya.

Jessica said...

I LOVE it!! I love this opportunity for you...took some friends to the World of Coke last weekend and thought about you many times :)

Mel said...

Congratulations, Aunt Rachel!!!