Thursday, August 7, 2008

television

    Growing up without television wasn’t so bad. We had a small VCR that played our favorite videos. One of my favorites was Robin Hood. Watching Saturday morning cartoons at Max and Shirley’s was always a treat. Many a sporting event was watched at Bob and Bev’s. I can remember watching the gymnastic teams from around the world compete in the Olympics.
Remember when Kerri Strug pulled off the vault performance that won the gold medal even though she had a sprained ankle?
                                                
    Another vivid T.V. memory at the Maday’s was watching Princess Diana’s funeral. I didn’t really know anything about her until the funeral, but I remember being sad while watching it.
My brothers would go next door to our neighbors house during the World Series in 1991 to watch the Braves play. They would get so into the games and not want to take their eyes off the screen for fear they would miss something. So, I was usually the one to go back and forth to our house bringing them popped popcorn and cups of juice and water.
    T.V. for us has become a special time where we can visit with others and make a whole event out of watching important things. I am thankful Mom and Dad that you made the decision to see if there was “life without T.V.”. Now I have these wonderful T.V. watching memories.
I will say that probably due to not having a T.V. around the house, we have each developed our own versions of being ‘dead to our surroundings’ when there happens to be one on in a room that we are in. Let me assure you when you call our name or ask us to do something we are not purposely ignoring you-we just can’t hear you. We are ‘in the zone’. Not having a TV in our house has also caused a significant rise in the popularity of youtube videos. As you can see documented here-we gather as many people around the smallest laptop screen that we can in order to get our dose of entertainment.
                                                           
Do you have a TV story about our family?

5 comments:

Dianne said...

Hey. Great story....really great! I was at your house last night with your brothers and there was talk of watching the Olympic opening at the Bob and Vicki's. I'm glad you had the Maday house to go to for stuff like that, along with neighbors. It's funny though Rachel, when I'm there, everyone is so fabulous and fun to talk to that I don't even notice there isn't a TV!! Your parents really did do all of you a favor and I have no doubt your relationships with each other are better than most because of it. You are a blessed young woman and it thrills me to count you as my friend. I'm proud of you. :-)

Mel said...

Rachel, I remember at discipleship one night at my house (before you could drive), you and Hillary were waiting for your moms to pick you up and the TV was on in the background. Hillary called your name at least 4 times and you totally didn't hear her! And you were only watching a commercial! There were several times you stayed after discipleship to watch TV for a few minutes. I so enjoyed our time together. Hope you're having a blast at the Olympics! You're so special to me.

Miriam said...

I know exactly what it's like! We didn't have a TV until I was older! When we'd be at my Grandmother's house me & my brothers would be so "in the zone" that our cousins couldn't ever get our attention! It was so great not having a TV when I was growing up!

Unknown said...

I remember at Camp Cohutta you almost missed a small group meeting because you were in our room watching cartoons...haha. I kept saying "Rach, let's go" and you were oblivious that I was even in the room. I went over and turned the TV off. U just laughed! We were only in like 10th grade. I miss you girl...we had amazing prayer time today in Sunday School and we lifted you up in prayer...know that u are continuously being prayed for. Love and miss you! See you soon:)

iamthird said...

I love these stories!!! i cant stop laughing, thanks for sharing!