Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Koh Samui

is an island that survives on tourism and their coconut exports. Luckily, we stayed on the West side of the island where it was very low key with a small group of people. Erica and I did a week of cleansing/detox. This consisted of cleaning out our systems by drinking fluids-water, juices, minerals and soups. It was an interesting experience, but in the process we learned about taking care of our bodies by eating healthier and paying attention to food combinations. Hillary taught us some extra healthy recipes and used a dehydrator that her friend built for some of the recipes.
As I mentioned, coconuts are a big part of their economy. But, in order to meet demand, they train monkeys to climb the palm trees and pick the coconuts!
I got to hold this cute little fellow—until he wasn’t cute anymore when he clawed Erica’s nose!


Now, meet Lina:

 Our elephant tour guide!

4 comments:

Dianne said...

Okay...those pictures are FUN! I am so glad you are getting to do all this.

Anonymous said...

Umm, you are FINE in that top picture, look tan, hair looks amazing, just beautiful! Now come home! H

Mark said...

Ha ha, that monkey is chillin. A classmate says that monkeys have all kinds of diseases. I told her that I can't do much about it now. Don't go dying on me sister.

Anonymous said...

You are so beautiful Rachel. I miss you.