Sunday, October 26, 2008

Back in Bangkok

   I have to confess, I love blogging! It has been hard for me, not being able to blog as much as I would like to. So I want to catch you up as best I can!
    After the week on the island of Koh Samui, we returned to the big city. We stayed at probably the best backpackers hostel in Bangkok! It was a great location too, walking right around the corner to the skytrain. Check it out : SUK 11
    Erica and I took the skytrain to the end of the line and got on a water ferry---a boat that takes you up the Chao Phraya River. 

    We got off at the stops where we wanted to explore and see the many Wats (temples) and the Grand Palace. Wat Pho is the largest and oldest wat in Bangkok (built in 16th century- rebuilt in 1785 by King Rama I). Inside this wat is the largest reclining Buddha (I always thought reclining was lying back because of reclining chairs, but this guy was just laying on his side) :

    I love that there is fresh fruit and juices sold on every corner! There are markets all over, and the streets are lined with tents and things for sell. We found healthy restaurants, I got a great Thai massage for next to nothing price wise, and found some fun lounging pants that are so comfy! 

   Erica is off- back to Chicago, so I explored Bangkok the next day by myself. I went to the Home of the American business man who was a famous silk designer in Thailand: Jim Thompson House
    While trying to find the Jim Thompson house, I met a couple from Berlin who were also having trouble finding it--a travelers bonding moment--but we ended up finding it all together.
   After parting ways with them, I took a small boat up the river to the last stop, I got off there to find The Golden Mount, another wat up a little hill. It was fun to go up and the clouds, sun, and view of the city was really neat!

   I then took the boat back to the stop where I could get on the skytrain again. I went to a market called JJ's for short. It was endless it seemed! I am pretty sure anything you could want was there! I knew I was officially in Thailand when I was walking down an isle in the market with all these people around and look up to see two baby elephants walking by!! Wow, I took a double take on that one!
    It began to rain, so I wasn't able to catch a good photo of it. Then I headed back to the skytrain. Guess who I ran into? The couple from Berlin! George laughed and said "Bangkok is nothing more than a village I think!" They invited me along to try to find a boxing match to go to, as Muay Thai Boxing is one of the most popular sports unique to Thailand. We found the place, but after considering the 'tourist' price - it was $1,000 baht more than what the Thai's pay! We decided against paying so much, and peeped through the gate to see a little instead. That satisfied us enough and we settled for walking around another night market before saying our good byes at the sky train station.   

4 comments:

April said...

Destin and I went to Bangkok last year. So much fun!! And it's such a big city! Just be careful eating all of those fresh fruits and juices...i got e. coli while I was there. :)

iamthird said...

ahh. really? don't tell me that I was just raving about how healthy I can eat here!

Anonymous said...

Love followin you! H

Amy said...

I need your skype name! Then we'll chat chat chat it up!