Saturday, July 12, 2008

  If the city was not already Westernized before choosing it as a sight for the Olympics, they have established some Western brands that make me question if I am really in another country. From my window I can see a KFC and an Adidas store. There is a Hooters across the street, and I can walk to the local Starbucks in 8-10 minutes. The things out my window that assure me I am here are: constant construction with the construction workers sitting on their hard helmets and slurping noodles on their lunch break, a 'clothing market' down the street where I could go to improve my bartering skills and pick up bargains.
   Yesterday I accomplished a lot. With Lindsey's faithful help, I set up a bank account, found the office I will be reporting to Monday, got a transportation card, and a Chinese cell phone. This is very impressing considering this would be a lot to do in one's own country, much less a city of 16 million with a different native tongue. 

3 comments:

Ryan Ahlenius said...

Rachel,
I'm glad to hear you're getting settled in and the transition over in China seems to be going smoothly. I will be keeping you in my prayers. talk to you soon

Dianne said...

Sounds like you've already gotten a lot done! I'm glad you're blogging while you're away and I am eager to see what God has in store for you over there. I look VERY forward to reading your posts.

blah blah blah said...

Hey girl! I've been reading your posts to your mom over the phone since she is not able to connect to the internet for the next few days. She is so happy that you got all that accomplished before Monday. And to hear her speak about you, it's so obvious that she is so proud of you.

Have a great Sunday!

-terriblespeller