Sunday, July 13, 2008

sweet sunday

     Ch*rch today was one of the most beautiful worship experiences I have ever had. I attended an International Fellowship during the English service. Let me first say that going into the building I had such a hard feeling in my heart. I believe I was hurting because of the inability to have Chinese visitors (I could not invite my roommate). Instead, there was a line for females and a line for males. It was as if going through security at the airport. I had to show my passport to verify I indeed was not a Chinese citizen. There could be no liquids brought into the building, and each person had a ‘detector wand’ swiped around their body and purses/bags checked. But once I was seated and met those around me I felt comfortable hearing the most English I had in one place in a while. Although the service was mainly in English, the people were from all over the world. Even still, I could sense the unity in Chr*st. 
     We were led to the throne first through English songs sung by an Australian and an African woman and (assumptions here)- American drummer, Korean guitarist and pianist. The place was packed, the row I was on completely full. When the band played with such enthusiasm and the African lady in a bright pink suit let loose on ‘I’ll Fly Away’ I decided I want that song sung at my funeral!
    We then worshiped through Portuguese lyrics with a band from Brazil. It was the closest I have felt to what Heaven will be like. The cultures I know for sure that were represented today where Koreans, Canadians, Indonesians, Brazilians, Nigerians, and Americans, and I am certain there were more. Another impactful moment was when the crowed room sang “I’m falling on my knees…offering all of me…” The whole service my heart and soul felt so full I thought at any moment they would burst open. Reflecting the light of Chr*st was what the sermon was on and is exactly what I hope to do as I begin work tomorrow.
     Lunch at a German restaurant across the street was delicious-I couldn’t stop smiling. I love the world being at my fingertips-eating German food in China having just worshiped with people from all around the world. Too Blessed!

5 comments:

Dianne said...

I'm glad you were able to have such a fabulous worship experience. I am amazed at all you had to do to get in there though. WOW.

And I have another word for you Rachel. You reflect Christ in your life every day..I'm sure it will be NO PROBLEM for you to do so there. I'm proud of you.

...And praying for you.

Brittany Carnes said...

Guess what? We sang "I'll fly away" this Sunday morning back home as well! In fact, the congregation was so "into" the song we sang it twice! So, even though you are overseas and miles away we are still unified in Chr*st! What a blessing! Love you and miss you!

iamthird said...

wow brittany. that makes me so happy that you guys were singing that too!!! :) :) how comforting.
thank you both for your support! means so much.

blah blah blah said...

I would have loved to experience that!

Miriam said...

Rachel! It was so good to read this post! I hope you have many more experiences like this during your time there! I love you! Praying for you! :) Hope you have a great day!