Friday, July 11, 2008

  These first few are going to be fly by the seat of my pants. I'm not going to lie, I miss wordpress. I was comfortable and quick with it. Anyway...because I cannot access the wordpres one, I don't know what I last told you about (I think it was the 1st leg of my journey- but i had a scheduled one or two in there about cow appreciation day-etc those might still come through).
  Ok...just for kicks- my journal from first trip to China:


“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28: 19-20
It was yet another obnoxiously hectic morning as the oldest brother loaded the suburban with the three suitcases. The man of the house, never the least bit ashamed to humble himself before the Father and those present, fell to his knees on the kitchen floor dressed in his business suit from tie to shoes to place his hand on his daughter who was about to make a trip around the world.
We landed the first flight safely. With Golden Gate Bridge in the distance, we found our way through the San Francisco airport to the international check-in counter only to be told that Magen would not be allowed on the flight. She did not have a sufficient visa. Leaving her behind in an unfamiliar city to get a taxi to the Chinese Embassy and find a hotel seemed harder for me than it was for her. But time was running out and I knew there would be nothing I could do to help, I had to catch my plane that left in 20 minutes.
Of course since I was running late, I had to have the ‘special ‘s’’ on my ticket. I was moved to a different line and found myself getting strip searched. The people kindly groped me and unloaded my bag, that Mary-Stewart so carefully helped me pack. The lady was so sweet, she even left the stuff out so I could put it back in! Running frantically to the gate, I pushed people out of my way left and right. I got in at the tail end of the boarding line. My heart was racing, and was with Magen, but when I got on the plane, my head was comfortably rested in her seat! I arrived in time for bed, so it worked out nicely. E our SC met me at the airport, we waited for Alisia’s flight in, then went to sleep at the hotel.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Shanghai (nearly 20 million people). We had great local food the first day! Starbucks for breakfast, Taco Bell Grande (sit down form of taco bell), and McDonald’s for dinner. Magen got in the next day, we went to a store and got necessary items you cannot find in the city we were going to, had orientation the second day, then an eight hour bus ride to our final destination. The bus rides consist of the tv blaring a violent Chinese movie, men smoking on the bus, and the driver honking his horn loudly every single time he was approaching or passing another vehicle on the highway. To say the least, I had an excruciating headache for days after.
-First flight to China September 2004

No comments: