Monday, July 14, 2008

First day in the ‘Real World’

8:35am intern move #1- Angel and I showed up early.
Why this is good-we were not late
Why this is bad- the air wasn’t on yet and the janitor gave us an evil eye while he vacuumed around us.

Onboard paperwork-yea….I couldn’t read the contract…but I signed it anyway. Luckily, the Employee Agreement was in English-so I got to help Angel with that one.

10:15am- Intern move #2 Trying to get something to drink, I broke the cup holder on the side of the water dispenser.
Why this is good-it gave a few employees something to laugh about
Why this is bad- it fell to the floor, made a loud crash, and the hectic Monday morning chatter completely stopped and everyone stared at me as I awkwardly said ‘dui bu qui’ (excuse me).

10:30am- IBM + dial up = not as fun as Macbook + Wifii… but, I have a work computer!
Leo the roaming IT guy had to help me already 3 times before lunch.

Met E O, yes this is her ‘English’ name. She is a sweetheart and is patient with my broken mandarin. She is on the creative/design team and got a Nikon camera to shoot with as well as a video camera! She is a media major at a nearby college. I also got to meet another intern I had been emailing-Chris Tao.
The noodle place was too crowded so we went to KFC ☺. Back to the office—hit the ground running!! Intense orientation.

2pm- my line manager speaks English!
 I have an assignment to turn into her soon, so she gave me some work to take home! I am glad to do it, and hope that somehow it makes at least part of her job easier-she has a lot on her plate before the games start.

6pm- leave work: Intern move #3 uh…yea…got on the wrong bus. Did I mention it is raining?
I am thankful-I had a change of shoes (off with the heels on with the flip flops!)
Why this is good- I was comfortable while walking around in the rain trying to figure out where to go.
Why this is bad- the flip flops were white this morning. They are now a grayish, black color.
I am thankful- I had brought an umbrella in my purse.
Why this is bad- the wind was so bad I had the case of the inverted umbrella, so it didn’t help much.
I am thankful- I have a Chinese speaking roommate (she was able to tell a guard where I should go so he could point me in the right direction)!

7:30pm make it back to the apartment. Off to prepare excel sheets! And hopefully get some sleep--enjoy your Monday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTuKRusWBpM

Yes, the last 12 sec is probably why I got on the wrong bus, I was too busy chuckling about the accuracy of the video my cousin posted!

2 comments:

Brittany Carnes said...

Reading your posts make me laugh, Rach! You are hilarious! It never fails...you always find the good in every tough situation! Also, thanks for the details and the video...both were great!

Praying for u...love you! Be safe and try getting on the RIGHT bus tomorrow:)

hillary said...

amazing, rachel! congrats on your first day!